Upgrading to OpenSim 7.1: Diva R-15402-b

May 20, 2011

In a previous post, we shared our experience with a fresh installation of the Diva distribution (r-15402-b) of OpenSim, and how the various viewers saw Mesh objects and Media on a Prim. Encouraged by the smoothness of the fresh installation, we did a test upgrade of our existing Diva installation, and, well…we encountered a little problem – or two. We’ll share our experience of that here in the hope of saving you some headaches.

Feeling rather optimistic, one of us was logged in and the other in the process when an error appear in red on the console: “Unable to convert MySQL date/time value to System.DateTime.” Then it appeared to crash. We logged out, restarted OpenSim, and logged in again, watching the console and we saw the error appear again as we were logging in. Hmm. Did a Web search for the error message and found it in the OpenSim Mantis Tracker, issue ID 0005474. The original submitter had the same issue. The solution was a new connector that allows a zero datetime. Diva Canto, the developer of the Diva distribution of OpenSim, clarified by explaining exactly where and what needed the fix: MyWorld.ini, the following line, from:

ConnectionString = “Data Source=localhost;Database=opensim;User ID=opensim;Password=***;Old Guids=true;”

to

ConnectionString = “Data Source=localhost;Database=opensim;User ID=opensim;Password=***;Old Guids=true;Allow Zero Datetime=true;

We saved the file, restarted OpenSim, and logged in, carefully watching the console. No baleful red messages glared at us from the console. With that issue resolved, however, another one soon appeared:

[LLCLIENTVIEW]: Caught exception while processing OpenMetaverse.Packe ts.UpdateInventoryItemPacket for xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx,
[MYSQL GENERIC TABLE HANDLER]: Trying to store field creatorID for OpenSim.Data.XInventoryItem which is unexpectedly null at
OpenSim.Data.MySQL.MySQLGenericTableHandler`1.Store(T row)

This same error was reported on an OpenSim user list. We were happy to see we weren’t the only ones experiencing this problem. The answer: it’s a bug in OpenSim where the creatorID field in the database is not always being filled. We anticipate a fix in the near future; for now, since we’re in test mode with our Diva installation, we simply found all the null creatorID fields and filled them with zeroes.

With no more complaints in the console, we’re now continuing to test our shiny, newly updated Diva grid. We’ll upgrade our OpenSim with Robust installation once bug fixes have been released.

Share

Related Posts:

Share your thoughts here.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Valid CSS!



plugin by DynamicWP
#